Fae Sutherland's Reviews > Sheltered

Sheltered by Charlotte Stein

Mar 24, 12

Read on March 23, 2012 — I own a copy

Just finished, need a little while to process. In a word - Beautiful. I'll be back with more words. :)

Okay had some time to process and here's my thoughts.

I love this book. It's smart and funny and poignant and clever. There are a few things that I think could have improved it, but those things don't take away from the book as it is. For instance, I would have liked very much to get Van's point of view. Even just a little. However, how he thinks and feels is never in question, even though we don't get to see anything from his POV. Evie is a fabulous narrator and gives us all the insight we need. I'm just greedy and wanted more.

There were spots where Evie's internal dialogue did not match her purported innocence and lack of worldly experience. She uses the word cunt to refer to her girly bits, for instance, and I found it very startling and out of character. It really contrasted in a jarring way with how Evie thinks of other sexual things in a very realistically innocent way.

Overall, though, none of the nitpicks can affect how much I adored this book. As an abuse survivor, Evie's situation could have been terribly triggering, but Charlotte handled it with such deft cleverness that while we knew what was going on, it didn't overshadow the story we were being told. This wasn't a story of a girl in an abusive home, this is the story of a girl meeting her soulmate. I truly believe that Evie and Van are going to be together forever. The ending was so beautiful, I cried.

I'd rate it 4.5 stars but rounded up to 5 for Goodreads' system. It's definitely going to be a keeper for me and a reread.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sheltered.

30.0% "Oh man, I am loving this so far. It touches really close to home in a handful of uncomfortable ways, but the respect shown so far for Evie's situation makes it far less triggering than it would be otherwise. She's a delight and Van...oh my."
62.0% "Possibly one of the best sex scenes I've read in a long, long time."
67.0% "Oh god oh god oh god."
100.0% "That was indescribably beautiful."