L's Reviews > Savor: Mindful Eating, Mindful Life

Savor by Thích Nhất Hạnh

Mar 30, 12

Read from March 23 to 30, 2012

This is a good book for exactly what you think it would be good for: teaching one how to savor one's food and feel satiated with life without feeling the need to go to excess. Here's my problem with it: the authors don't have toddlers running around their feet and not allowing them to sit down and eat, much less sit down and examine the food quietly. I think it's great and instructive advice but not practical for people like me.

It's always good to read Thich Nhat Hanh, at the very least for reaffirmation of leading a calm and mindful life, respectful of others. In that sense, the book is renewing. It also contains bunches of health information about eating and physical activity that truthfully, most of us already know. Without doubt, this gives good reasons to eat right and exercise and as a bonus, gives the reader things to ask him/herself before eating. Do I really want this? Am I substituting this for something else in my life?

The part where Hanh asks the reader to examine the reasons for overeating or having an otherwise unhealthy relationship with food was particularly helpful. Personally, I realized that I feel like I've worked so hard in life to get where I am that I deserve to eat what I want. Well, this got me thinking that maybe I really don't deserve horrible stuff in my body, but instead I deserve the best foods I can get; my idea of what I deserve was twisted around.

As someone who generally shuns dairy and meat, I agree with his conclusions about their consumption for oneself and for the planet; however, I wish he'd offered more evidence. This book is hardly full of facts and figures, which I'm used to reading in health books.

I appreciate all Hanh tried to do here and I think his cause is noble and just and if one follows the advice, one will get the desired result. He makes it sound easy. The trouble is the practice and the motivation. I strongly believe that every person in this country knows what he or she has to do to live healthily and that the only thing those people need is motivation. This book really doesn't supply a compelling reason for motivation. I guess we'll all have to wait for that first heart attack, after all. Three and a half stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Savor.

Quotes L Liked

Thích Nhất Hạnh
“I will practice coming back to the present moment...not letting regrets and sorrow drag me back into the past or letting anxieties, fears, or cravings pull me out...”
Thích Nhất Hạnh, Savor: Mindful Eating, Mindful Life

03/24/2012 page 17
show 4 hidden updates…

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda Can't wait to hear how this one is! I got one of his books in the mail a few days ago. It's on my short list.

message 2: by L (new) - rated it 3 stars

L Wow - great minds. I found it just browsing a shelf at B&N last week and it immediately appealed. I'll bet you can guess why. I really like Thich Nhat Hanh, so paired w/a Harvard nutritionist, I feel like this book can't steer me wrong. Now, I have to go eat breakfast.