Felicia's Reviews > Point of Honour

Point of Honour by Madeleine E. Robins

Mar 23, 12

bookshelves: vaginal-mystery, mystery
Read in March, 2012

This was a fun mystery romp that has alt-history twist to it. Fallen woman turned into detective heroine. I have mixed but generally positive feelings about this book. There were some really fun parts for sure, and the mystery was definitely interesting, but I couldn't buy into it 100% all the time.

I want to warn you, this is NOT A VAGINAL MYSTERY in that...I can't spoil it, but it's just not. So beware, because the ending really threw me for a loop and I kinda liked it but not really. Also, referring to the heroine as "Miss Temperance" all the time was for some reason irritating, even though that is her name. I just read a book where the main character was Shasta or something, I and every time I would get into it, the name would come up and I would blanche. Naming is important. Anywhoooooo....I give this three stars, but it might be more of a 4-star depending on what else you like. It reminded me of Sebatian St. Cyr, and the autopsy historical series I'm forgetting now, and I did like it.

I would recommend this book for someone who enjoys a light mystery read with a strong lady protagonist, doesn't really care about historical accuracies persay, but likes a dash of period flare with their escapism.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Point of Honour.

message 1: by Danica (new) - added it

Danica Midlil I'm new to your reviews. What does "Vaginal Mystery" mean? :)

message 2: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome Per se -- spelling police.

message 3: by seth (new)

seth chapin Danica, it's a mystery :P

Felicia Danica wrote: "I'm new to your reviews. What does "Vaginal Mystery" mean? :)"
It's tongue in cheek :) It means a mystery novel with a strong romance plot.

message 5: by Danica (new) - added it

Danica Midlil Felicia wrote: "Danica wrote: "I'm new to your reviews. What does "Vaginal Mystery" mean? :)"
It's tongue in cheek :) It means a mystery novel with a strong romance plot."

Thanks!

message 6: by Earl (new)

Earl C Your point on naming is very well made. I'm always reminded of the scene from "When Harry Met Sally."

Harry Burns: With whom did you have this great sex?
Sally Albright: I'm not going to tell you that.
Harry Burns: Fine, don't tell me.
Sally Albright: Shel Gordon.
Harry Burns: Shel? Sheldon? No, no, you did not have great sex with Sheldon.
Sally Albright: I did too.
Harry Burns: No you didn't. A Sheldon can do your income taxes, if you need a root canal, Sheldon's your man... but humpin' and pumpin' is not Sheldon's strong suit. It's the name. 'Do it to me Sheldon, you're an animal Sheldon, ride me big Shel-don.' Doesn't work.

message 7: by seth (last edited Mar 26, 2012 07:00PM) (new)

seth chapin Felicia wrote: "Danica wrote: "I'm new to your reviews. What does "Vaginal Mystery" mean? :)"
It's tongue in cheek :) It means a mystery novel with a strong romance plot."

True Story :P (tongue in cheek'n)