Darlene's Reviews > A Cottage by the Sea

A Cottage by the Sea by Ciji Ware

Mar 27, 12

bookshelves: feminism, history, horses, i-ve-read, kindle, kobo, strong-fem, england, cornwall-england
Recommended to Darlene by: Kindle, Kobo freebie
Recommended for: Yvensong, Cher-lynn Maynard, S. Michele, Tom
Read on March 26, 2012 , read count: Once but may read it again.

Floundering between books and the computers are off I found this old one (one of the first freebies downloaded to my Kindle and to my Kobo desktop app. Loved the title but just couldn't get into the book. Too much Hollywood/divorce crap and not enough Cottage by the Sea. Couldn't find a reason to like the characters. The plot seemed to be heading for romance territory. Meh.

***
After I posted this review I read other reviews on Amazon and feel maybe I should go back and try to read this.

***
This was worth the read. I prefer fantasy. I don't like outright romance novels, those keep the propaganda alive. So I prejudged this book. The cover looks similar to fantasies, beachy setting and all. But the story starts out with a bitter Hollywood divorce. The main character escapes the paparazzi and pain and goes to Cornwall, England. I started to get excited, NOW a story can happen. But then a love interest comes along. That was when I put the book down and walked away.

Wait, Ciji Ware has done her homework! There are so many levels of story here and much research in evidence! Don't kill the messenger. She is the story teller who points out the position of women in society. Her means is the genetic/psychic trance that shows the history of an old family. How much history do we hold in our genetic make-up? What if we could touch it and learn the lessons that maybe our forebears couldn't? Now follow that family as they leave England and head for America. Yes, love is a key in this book but it is more than romantic love. Best of all, the characters grow, change, make mistakes, forgive.

As I said: Worth the read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Cottage by the Sea.

03/26/2012
6.0% "going to try again. reviews prove that there is more to this than I thought."
show 1 hidden update…