All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > The Rules

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail, earc
Read in April, 2013

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Romantic sci-fi YA has been gaining popularity recently thanks to series like Jennifer L. Armentrout’s Lux series (super awesome btw) and even Pittacus Lore’s I AM NUMBER FOUR. THE RULES isn’t as action packed as the later nor as romantic as the former, and there are some issues with it, but Stacey Kade does know how to hook readers and in her new Project Paper Doll series, she does exactly that.

The beginning of THE RULES had some problems with pacing and a few unfortunate info dumps. Because of the dual POVs, a lot of early info got rehashed twice as both Ariane and Zane experienced/processed the same event. The actual plot was intriguing and after those first few chapters, the pacing improved. I don’t know how effective Zane’s backstory was, though. His mother’s abandonment and subsequent life the the shadow of his perfect brother felt a little tacked on at times since it didn’t really shape his personality in any significant way. Ditto for Ariane and her issues with her ‘father’ and her years as a lab rat. I wanted to feel more depth from both of them.

On the plus side, the story is good. Both the larger aliens among us storyline and the smaller let’s team up to punish the bully storyline were fun. I especially liked the way the romance unfolded and I’m always a sucker for pretend romance blossoming into the real thing. There were also a few interesting character twists that kept a few of the seemingly cliche characters from being, well, cliche.

On the whole, I thought THE RULES was a step back from the Ghost and the Goth series, but still a solidly fun story. The ending especially ramped up the intrigue and dropped a few rather shocking surprises that have me more than a little anxious to read the next book in the Project Paper Doll series due out in 2014.

Sexual Content:
Kissing. Mild sensuality

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rules.

04/26/2013 marked as: read