Chev E's Reviews > Torn

Torn by Amanda Hocking

F 50x66
Mar 23, 2012

Read in March, 2012

After enjoying Switched, I was disappointed by Torn. Switched had all the promise of the first in a series but like many others sequels, Torn couldn't live up to it. The feeling of being in a new world where I've never been before, a new world to explore, was one of the things I loved about Switched, but the world of Trylle seemed way less intriguing than Torn.

What I did like about Torn was the sudden and prominent appearance of Wendy's heart. I actually believed that she cared about all the people she said she cared about and wasn't just saying it to hold on to her old life. Torn starts off literally seconds after the end of Switched, with Wendy and Rhys's return home to Matt. The story starts hopping right away, and Princess Wendy is kidnapped by the mysterious and dangerous Vittra. While being held captive Wendy discovers the truth about the king and meets the devilishly charming Loki. The excitement came and went in waves, and when the end came it seemed so un-end-like that I didn't realize the book was actually over.

The title of the book refers to Wendy's big non-dilemma about what guy to choose. There's Finn, who is one hundred percent off limits but Wendy's true love who she will be with at the end of the series, Tove, Wendy's good friend who she is supposed to marry for the good of the kingdom, and Loki, who in my opinion, is wasting his time even thinking about Wendy because he's too cool for her. Wendy and Finn get all emotional and passionate but in a messier and less attractive way than Loki. Again, my tendency to cheer for the underdog is coming out, but there is nothing I can do to push it back into its corner.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torn.

Quotes Chev Liked

Amanda Hocking
“I don’t know. After the downstairs, I assumed something creepier and dirtier.” I
shrugged. “You didn’t have electricity down there.”
“It’s for dramatic effect.” Loki gestured widely. “It’s a dungeon.”
tags: humor

Amanda Hocking
“I looked at him like he was an idiot, but he didn’t notice. Or maybe he got it so often, he thought that was how people looked at him.”

Amanda Hocking
“Will you… I mean, do you want to get married?” Tove asked. “To me?”
“I, um…” I didn’t know what to say.
“If you don’t want to, nothing has to change between us,” Tove said hurriedly. “I asked because it sounds like a good idea to me.”
“Yeah,” I said, and I didn’t know what I would say until it was coming out of mouth. “I mean, yes. I do. I will. I would… I’ll marry you.”
“Yeah?” Tove smiled hopefully, and I nodded.
“Yes.” I swallowed hard and tried to smile back.
“Good.” He exhaled and looked back down the hall. “This is good, right?”
“Yeah, I think so,” I said, and I did mean that.
“Yeah,” he nodded. “I sorta feel like throwing up now, though.”