Linda's Reviews > The Healing

The Healing by Jonathan Odell

Mar 29, 12

Read from March 23 to 28, 2012

I enjoyed this book very much. Strong women dominate this multi generational story. Unforgettable characters set in the deep south during the time of slavery. History, the will of the human spirit, secrets and mystery and all between these pages. A deep sadness came over me for the hardship these people endured at the hands of their "owners." Polly Shine, the negro doctor, rich in her knowledge of herbs was able to see deeply into the soul of each of the people she made well. Teaching that knowledge to Granada, a young slave taken from her mother at birth and raised in their white master's house proves to be a great challenge. Granada is torn between what she believes the white man can give her or accept the gift that Polly "sees" in her. Their lives are woven together, each a thread in the great quilt of life. Granada must choose where she belongs. When I wasn't reading, the characters haunted me calling me back to the swamps for more. Be sure you don't miss this one, you won't be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Healing.