Becky's Reviews > The Sinking of the Titanic: Survivor Stories

Apr 24, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: maritime, history, librivox-gutenberg-for-free
Read from March 23 to April 24, 2012

A collection of firsthand accounts of heroism, etc. You can really see the class stereotypes. It focuses (naturally, even now we’d still focus on celebrities in a tragedy) on the aristocracy and higher class. Constantly says all steerage passengers were in state of panic, but never seems to imply that any of the rich were even worried. The men of the upper cases are portrayed utterly stoically. The stories about the women are interesting, some refusing to lose their husbands, some women refusing to row even to save themselves because they’d been beaten by a life of docility, while others threatening to throw the rowboat captains overboard if they didn’t start doing their jobs.

I gave it two stars because the book is a little helter-skelter. Its also inanely repetitive at times. And borders on magnificently boring, and there is little truth verification. But if you’re really interested in the history of the Titanic it’s a good read. Not a definitive, or even authoritative, work though. I had never really known anything about the Titanic previously though, and I learned a great deal on how the whole thing could have been easily avoided at any point. It really gets the blood boiling. People being stupid and arrogant is all it was.

This book was provided for free as an audiobook by Librivox.org. The reading was done excellently.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sinking of the Titanic.