Flora Smith's Reviews > The Declaration

The Declaration by Gemma Malley

Apr 03, 2012

bookshelves: dystopia
Read from March 23 to April 02, 2012

This story is set in a future world where people live forever making it illegal to have children because of overpopulation. Longevity drugs have made it possible for people to live forever but with this brings a tremendous strain on the world. We certainly get a look at life in such a world. A world where there are not children. Children that have been conceived illegally are taken to facilities where they are raised to be slaves for those that are legal. They are treated as surplus citizen and the cruelty they are subjected to was sometime hard for me to read. Horrible mental and physical abuses at the hands of their captors that were supposed to be caring for them. And once free of such abuse how do you learn to live free? I love one of the final quotes from Anna about this, "I know that we have to live each moment because we won't be here for ever, and that I wouldn't want to be anyway, because knowing something's going to end makes you appreciate it more, makes you want to savour every moment." More people should take this advice.

I tend to really like dystopias and this one is certainly original. Its definitely more than what it appears to be. Its not only a YA novel about the possiblity of eternal life. Its also about child abuse within the system by those that are supposed to be protectors. Its also about differences in society with those that are somewhere legally as opposed to illegally and how they are treated. People are still people and we all deserved to be treated with dignity. Loved this one, it will make you think. I recommend this to anyone that loves a good dystopia.

*Edit*
I keep thinking about this book, I kept thinking that something was missing about this story and I figured out what it was: religion. Most religions have thoughts about the afterlife and that the next world is better than this one. However, in this book that was never addressed. Is this a future with no relgion? Or due to the longevity drugs was religion deemed no longer needed since no one was going to the next world? I'm personally not a religous person, but society as a whole is, but not here. Its certainly a different world from our own.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Declaration.