Blythe's Reviews > Seraphina

5206717
Mar 23, 2012

bookshelves: netgalley-edelweiss-arc, 2012-reads, abandoned-for-now
Read from July 07 to 08, 2012

I made it roughly 150 pages in and can say that this book isn't for me, but I could have come to that conclusion having only read the synopsis. Despite my strong dislike for high fantasy, I decided to request this on NetGalley because of all the raving reviews that kept coming in from trusted friends of mine. While I do think it is definitely worthy of such praise, considering the writing is excellent and the plot is interesting, high fantasy is just something I can't bring myself to enjoy.

I honestly think it would be best for me to avoid anything high fantasy related at all costs. It's not a genre I like, and I don't think it ever will be. That being said, I don't think I'll be getting back to Seraphina.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seraphina.

07/08/2012 page 10
2.0% "Hartman's writing is absolutely excellent so far."
07/08/2012 page 117
25.0% ""
07/08/2012 page 142
31.0% "Yeah... I'm not liking this book very much. The world-building is good, the writing is good, but I don't think anything else is. But that's coming from a person who tries her best to avoid all things fantasy/high fantasy related, so, with that being said, I think I'll be setting this book aside and possibly get back to it. It's just not for me."

Sarah (SB) ღ I love this cover! Can't wait to see your review. :)

Bonnie I just started this! :)

Bonnie Yeah... I have a definite aversion to fantasy. Sometimes I really wonder why I even bother trying.

message 4: by Blythe (new) - added it

Blythe Glad to know I'm not the only one who put this aside. I remember it being interesting, with the dragon-people and whatnot, but, like you, it never really gripped me. Although, I'm happy to say I have read my fair share of good fantasies this year (and of course bad ones), but I still doubt I'll be getting back to this. It's ... too high fantasy for me, if that makes any sense.

message 5: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra I also DNF'd this. The writing itself was superb, but the topic just didn't capture me. I felt so bad, but the author was very gracious about it. :)