^'s Reviews > Clouds of Witness

Clouds of Witness by Dorothy L. Sayers

Sep 09, 14

bookshelves: detective, fiction, pre-isbn, books-with-1001-to-10000-ratings, author-male
I own a copy, read count: 2

In 1926, the scandal of the Duke of Denver up on a charge of murder would have provided riveting copy for the newspapers 'of the day'.
Though of another age it is really not that long ago; having been first published in the year of the birth of Queen Elizabeth II.

It makes for an interesting and very readable novel because, when one stops to think about it, how often does one read detective fiction in which a close family member investigates to clear the accused? How can impartiality be exercised over bonds of familial affection?

I’ve often wondered if this book tells us more about the fictional character of Lord Peter Wimsey than any other that Dorothy Sayers wrote; because socially and emotionally, Lord Peter is working here, quite literally, on home territory; and that is not an easy situation to be in.

Though this book is fiction, I recommend it to the devotees of “Downton Abbey.” Here they will find the English aristocracy of the period, free from the hyperbole and atypical behaviours injected into a storyline written by a writer writing in the early twenty-first century.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clouds of Witness.