Eva's Reviews > The Year of the Gadfly

The Year of the Gadfly by Jennifer   Miller

May 06, 12

bookshelves: literary-fiction, read-in-2012
Read from March 23 to 28, 2012

I cannot state enough how much fun this book was. We begin with Iris, whose best friend Dalia has just died, and is still in reeling with grief with only her imaginary friend Edward R. Murrow, as company. Concerned, her parents decide to move to the small town of Nye, Massachussets and in to the home of the former headmaster of Mariana Academy.

At Mariana Iris's curiosity is peaked by all of the secrets that the posh school holds including the existence as a secret society known as Prisom's Party, the past of her favorite teacher Mr. Kaplan, and also the mystery of the former headmaster's daughter Lily, in whose bedroom Iris is sleeping in.

I cannot express how much fun this book was. Iris is a wonderfully drawn character: precocious, constantly curious, and a budding journalist but also weighed down by the loss of her best friend and the search for a new one. The book itself is propelled by constant intrigue, the idea of a life lived in extremes and the need to survive in the cutthroat world of high school.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of the Gadfly.