Melissa's Reviews > The Corn Maiden and Other Nightmares

The Corn Maiden and Other Nightmares by Joyce Carol Oates

Mar 27, 12

bookshelves: put-down
Read from March 23 to 27, 2012

This is a horrible, horrible, horrible book. I wish somebody had told me that. DO NOT PICK UP THIS BOOK. It is like every nightmare you ever on paper. Believe the title. This isn't a creepy but enjoyable book like Stephen King's. This is an all around disturbing book with short stories about things you never want to think about.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Corn Maiden and Other Nightmares.

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I think your review has had the opposite effect on me. It makes me want to read it all the more. That it affected you on that deep of a level speaks for Oates' writing ability and masterful storytelling. I feel like I could use a good scare. Thank you for the review; as far as "negative" reviews go, yours was very helpful and I mean that with all sincerity. :-)

Melissa Amy, if you have kids don't read this book, I don't mind nightmares in Stephen King form, but I have issues rewarding
G about horrible things happening to children.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy At this I do not have kids, and so I think this book will not affect me the same as it might a mother. I am a quarter of the way into the book and I can see where it might make someone with children uneasy, but I can also appreciate the realism. Oates' has succeeded in bringing these very real emotions to the surface, and connecting with the reader. It is good for some, and obviously bad for others. All the same, I respect your warning, and can agree that someone with children would probably have a more difficult time digesting this first story.

Steph Thanks. I'm moving this up on my "to read" list; JC Oates makes Stephen King look like he's practicing...and I'm a big Stephen King fan from way back.