Cathy Allen's Reviews > Six Disciplines for Excellence: Building Small Businesses That Learn, Lead and Last

Six Disciplines for Excellence by Gary Harpst

Dec 21, 12

bookshelves: whatiscathyreading-com, nonprofits, organizational-life, business-success
Read in January, 2010

I always appreciate well-organized material. Step one, step two etc... By giving us six phases in the planning and implementing cycle, what Harpst calls "disciplines," the author is giving those who are inexperienced with planning, implementing, and evaluating their programs a blueprint. Old hands like me get something quite valuable to share with client groups. I especially love the emphasis on getting people and systems aligned with your goals and values. After all, if we set a goal to foster creativity throughout the organization and then reward staff only for showing up on time and being productive, then our personnel system is not in alignment with our stated goals. I've gone back to this book many times since I first read it. The tools and group exercises are especially valuable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six Disciplines for Excellence.