Aimeekay's Reviews > Good as Lily

Good as Lily by Derek Kirk Kim

F_50x66
Mar 23, 12

*sigh* I really wanted to enjoy this book more than I actually did. It wasn't that it was bad, it's just that it wasn't as good as I expected it to be.

The story itself was decent. There were some funny parts, and some really sweet parts and even some emotional parts. I did actually start to care what happened to Grace and her other selves. The artwork was decent. Not as detailed as I would have liked, but not horrible. My favorite character in the whole book was Grace's oldest other self. She was funny throughout the whole story. But there were little things about the story that just bothered me.
For instance, the title of the story is "Good As Lily", but I didn't feel it really applied to the story. Lily is Grace's sister who passed away when Grace was a small child. One of Grace's issues is that she feels her parents don't think she is 'as good as' Lily was. But first of all this isn't Graces or her other selves only problems. Second the problem with her parents is resolved halfway through and book and Lily doesn't come back into the story after that. I shouldn't let the title get to me that much, but it just bothered me.
Another problem I had with the story was Lily's enemy Stephanie. The problem isn't so much with Stephanie or her role in the story, but more with how that portion of the story concluded.A little background on it: Stephanie is a girl who has picked on Grace non-stop since she was in Kindergarten. Finally near the end of the story Grace stands up for herself.(loved that part by the way) But then at the very end, Stephanie and Grace seem to have formed some sort of truce. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the whole learning to get along part. Just one minute they are fighting in front of the whole school, and the next Stephanie is showing up at the play because Grace has given her free tickets. Plus they are being moderately civil to each other. It's like that scene is just missing.
On a whole this book isn't bad, I just didn't feel it was great. If you get a chance to read it I would say go for it. Also while there are some very serious subjects, there isn't anything overly violent, sexual or anything like that, so if you are looking for something for a younger teen you don't have to worry about what they are reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good as Lily.