Lianne Burwell's Reviews > Blackout

Blackout by Mira Grant

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: zombies
Read from May 24 to June 06, 2012

I've been waiting for this book! In fact, since there was a delay in print copies reaching my town, I bought the ebook version (and then the paper edition) so that I could get started immediately.

The Newsflesh trilogy (Feed, Deadline, Blackout) deals with a universe nearly thirty years after the 'Rising'. Two engineered viruses -- one to cure the common cold, the other to cure cancer -- combined 'in the wild' to create the living dead. Georgia Mason and her brother by adoption, Shaun, are bloggers who get tagged by the Ryman campaign to be part of the press tail of his quest to become president.

Naturally, tragedy strikes, and book two starts a year later. Shaun is now running things, and becomes the target of a CDC plot to keep people from realizing... well, that would be telling.

Book three starts up almost the moment that book two ended. Shaun, and the rest of the top people in their organization are in hiding. CDC has one of them in their hands. The White House (President Ryan, and his VP, who was briefly a blogger working for Georgia) can not do anything directly. Florida has been wiped out by a new mosquito blown in from Cuba that can actually transmit the zombie virus (all of which was not an accident).

It's hard to tell much about this book without spoiling the other books, but there is action, betrayal, reunions, romance, and, least I forget, zombie bears. Also, the innevitable 'shocking' death (after the first two books, not terribly surprising, but required in a zombie novel). And it does come to a satisfying end to the trilogy, keeping in mind that the zombies are never going to go away.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackout.