Nora-adrienne's Reviews > Dark Frost

Dark Frost
By: Jennifer Estep
Copyright: June 2012
Publisher: K teen

I’ve seen so many freaky things since I started attending Mythos Academy last fall. I know I’m supposed to be a fearless warrior, but most of the time, I feel like I’m just waiting for the next Bad, Bad Thing to happen. Like someone trying to kill me—again.

Everyone at Mythos Academy knows me as Gwen Frost, the Gypsy girl who uses her psychometry magic to find lost objects—and who just may be dating Logan Quinn, the hottest guy in school. But I’m also the girl the Reapers of Chaos want dead in the worst way. The Reapers are the baddest of the bad, the people who murdered my mom. So why do they have it in for me?

It turns out my mom hid a powerful artifact called the Helheim Dagger before she died. Now, the Reapers will do anything to get it back. They think I know where the dagger is hidden, but this is one thing I can’t use my magic to find. All I do know is that the Reapers are coming for me—and I’m in for the fight of my life.

Leaving a summer assignment till the last second is of course standard fare in High School. More so at Mythos Academy where the students have abilities most normal humans can’t imagine. Gwen and her friends are visiting the Crius Coliseum in search of information for her Myth-History assignment. Gwen and her friends are each drawn to different artifacts on display, Daphne was interested in a curved bow that was made from a single piece of onyx and strung with golden threads. It had a matching quiver with a single golden arrow in it. The bow once belonged to Sigyn, the Norse Goddess of Devotion. Carson was drawn to an ivory horn that looked like a miniature tuba. It also had bits of onyx glimmering on its surface. The plaque explaining that It was the Horn of Roland.
At about this time Vic, Gwen’s snarky sword piped up about how boring the bow was, and that it wasn’t a real weapon, and goes on to belittle Carson’s choice of a staff as a weapon.. Gwen is deep in thought, remembering her mother’s murder and the reaper she desperately wants revenge on. It was about this time Nickamedes, her boss at the Library of Antiquities noticed her and walked over with a sneer on his face. Gwen turned at the sound of his voice and asked him what he was doing at the exhibit.
“Overseeing the exhibit, of course. Most of the artifacts on display are on loan from the Library of Antiquities.” Nickamedes stared at her and with his mouth twisting comments, “I see that you and your friends waited until the last possible second to finish your assignments. Looking around Gwen notices many other students doing the same thing she and her friends are. But she knows better than to start with him. Gwen decides that silence is the better part of valor and looks around to see if Logan is around. As she starts to ask him about how his winter break went, all hell seems to break loose. As Gwen and Logan start to head in the direction of the screams Daphne pulls them back, reminding them that they have no idea what they’d be walking into.
The group of four creep around to see what is happening, and find their fellow students being attacked by Reapers……
Could there be a more exciting way to start off Gwen’s next adventure? With this attack, Gwen and company are looking at more action and fighting, and a new set of challenges for the year. Ms. Estep has a way of drawing me into the picture and I feel like I’m right there (hiding behind a strong exhibit case) watching everything with my own two eyes.

FTC Full Disclosure: I received this book from the publishers, who only asked for a fair and impartial review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Frost.

06/26/2012 page 75