Heather's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Sep 29, 14

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, romance, time-travel
Read in August, 2008

One word...disappointing. From the reviews, this sounded like it was going to be such an amazing love story and I couldn't wait to read it! I ended up finishing the book simply because I was curious about the ending. I had the hardest time getting into this one. I had no emotional attachment to the characters whatsoever and I felt that the tone of the book was just flat and overall unexciting. It seemed like Henry and Clare's relationship was somewhat superficial and mostly centered around sex (which was described quite crudely) and lacked any real substance, depth, and passion. I think the premise for this story was interesting...I just personally didn't care for how it was told.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura ooh now i'm wondering if i should delete this. :(

Heather I don't know, L. Have you read anything by her? I just really did not like her writing. I remember thinking it was stark and emotionless. No frills. And I like some frills. lol

message 3: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura I haven't. I won a signed copy of Her Fearful Symmetry, but I still haven't read it. I'm not much for the whole crude sex thing either! :(

Heather I have that book also. I got it cheap at the used bookstore and went ahead and picked it up. I was just curious to see if I'd have the same reaction as I did with Traveler's Wife. To her writing style, I mean.

Yeah, I was really turned off by how she handled the love scenes in this one. Again...her writing. Blech.

message 5: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Oh yike. :(((

message 6: by Heather (last edited Dec 08, 2013 08:24AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Heather Cold. Very cold. That's what I remember thinking. Not my kinda writing. Funny, I remember really hating this when I was reading it. lol The only reason I finished it was because I was curious to see how it would play out and end. I did get a little emotional at one part of the story, thus my 2 star rating. It would have been 1 otherwise.

I will say that this is one of the few books that I've had such a strong negative feeling toward. This was pre-GR days. Not sure if I'd feel the same way today about it or not. I tend to think I would. I'd be really curious to hear your thoughts on this one. Most people seem to love it, so maybe it's just me! :)

message 7: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura I may try it at some point, just to see.

message 8: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura And isn't it funny how GR has changed our tastes?

Heather It is!