Rosalyn Eves's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Mar 11, 2014

Read in February, 2012

I had mixed feelings about this. Taylor's writing is gorgeous and I was often drawn in just by the prose. I loved the initial premise--Karou is an art student in Prague, who happens to have blue hair (it grows that way, after a childhood wish) and who was raised by chimaeras, part-beast, part human creatures, led by Brimstone who collects teeth of all sorts. Karou has a funky friend and a creepy ex-boyfriend and her life seems complicated enough between school and running errands all over the world to get teeth for Brimsone, not to mention the unexplained tatoos on her hands or her persistent sense of loneliness and not-wholeness. But then they discover a series of burnt handprints on doorways near all the portals Karou uses, and it's clear that the angels are back and have targeted the chimeras. From that point, the story gets more complicated. As I said, it was beautifully written and I enjoyed it on that level alone. Taylor also draws an intense romance. But I felt underwhelmed by the revelation about who Karou actually is.

Joshua Agreed. I liked the book and I think I will read the second one. There was SO much build up to who she really was and Brimstone saying she'd never forgive him, blah, blah, blah. And then who she was was kinda great.

Asenath I'm also not loving the love story so much...I'm tired of romances that started because of "inexplicable pulls."

Rosalyn Eves The second one (I thought) was much better.