Nicolo Yu's Reviews > Farscape Vol. 1: The Beginning of the End of the Beginning

Farscape Vol. 1 by Rockne S. O'Bannon

Mar 23, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read from March 13 to 15, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Cancelled television series have found new life in recent years in comic books. These are not the usual adaptations that comic publishers license from networks but new stories that pick up from the series finale and starting a new “season” in printed form with participation from its original creators and writers. One of the earliest adapters and best examples and best example of creator participation is Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 with Joss Whedon with a central role in plotting the direction of the book. He even wrote and scripted a few arcs himself. Other publishers have started to dust off these defunct shows. Boom Studios has since released a Farscape series from series creator Rockne O’Bannon.

Admittedly, I have never watched this show when it was airing, but I have heard that it was well-regarded by sci-fi fans, especially those turned off by the glut of Star Trek spin-offs on television. It has an interesting premise; an astronaut is transported halfway across the universe after encountering a wormhole event. Marooned, he is adjusting to life as part of a multi-species crew aboard a living starship.

Reading his hardcover collection of new Farscape stories, I noticed that the art direction favored a realistic art style. The character likenesses appear to be spot on but it made the figure movement static. The artist had storytelling issues as well. One in particular is his depiction of a world where the apex organism is of amphibian origin. As described by the plot included as supplementary material, it provided that the cities have building partly submerged in water, basically urban living that is well suited to an amphibious lifestyle. The artist isn’t able to translate this properly and instead drew a cityscape that resembles any highly urbanized Earth city which for some reason reminds me of Singapore.

These story picks up where the original show ended, moving forward character development. In fact it reads like a television script with television sensibilities intact, which means it is written for broadcast with a limited special effects budget. The story does not take any risk story wise, alternating between ship scenes and planet scenes. But the story is engaging enough for me to pick up the second volume.

This is a well packaged book, its pages and book jacket made of quality high-end glossy paper. It includes a ribbon attached to spine to serve as a bookmark. It is pretty classy. It makes me wish that all hardcover editions had this handy feature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farscape Vol. 1.

02/16/2016 marked as: read