Albion College's Reviews > Companion to A Sand County Almanac: Interpretive and Critical Essays

Companion to A Sand County Almanac by J. Baird Callicott

Mar 23, 12

bookshelves: currently-reading

This wonderful book of essays and excerpts from Aldo Leopold’s A Sand County Almanac continues thinking about the issues raised in Leopold’s original: namely, how to we simultaneously enjoy and conserve nature? What are the consequences for us as we fail to do either?

Leopold’s classic work, published in 1949 posthumously, is effectively a naturalist memoir. It contains his observations and recollections of life in and around his farm in Sauk County, Wisconsin, taken throughout the seasons, as well as his idea of a “land ethic.”

Probably the most famous quote from the original book is: “A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” If you’ve read the original and you’re looking for more commentary, read this! If you haven’t, find the original in Stockwell 110, call number QH81. L56

-Megan O'Neill, Library

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Companion to A Sand County Almanac.