Tammy King Carlton's Reviews > Uncle Tom's Cabin

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

Sep 08, 08

bookshelves: my-personal-favs
Read in September, 2008

This book is one of the most moving, provocative pieces of literature I've ever read, and it's the first time that I can recall being moved to tears from a book. As long as I live, I will never be able to remove from my mind the vision of Eliza, panicked and frenzied, in the dead of the night with her baby boy in her arms, leaping across the frozen ice of the Ohio river to escape the trader her baby had been sold to. And if anyone wants to read a profound and well written narrative for the view of a Black Slave, look to George's monologue on page 127-128, where he is at the Inn with Mr. Wilson, disguised as a white upperclass gentlemen, and explaining to Mr. Wilson how he feels about his country.
I was involved in the book up to that point, but after that, this book owned me. This should be required reading of every American Citizen, and it's in my top five of the most important books I have ever read. For whatever the cause of the American people, it all comes down to "When in the course of human events...".
61 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uncle Tom's Cabin.

Jayne Gordon Couldn't agree more! So great to find intelligence in the mass of ignorant reviews on Goodreads. Thank you.

message 2: by Art (new) - rated it 3 stars

Art Stevens I am no embarassed that I did not read this book years ago. It takes a book like this to remind us of how far we have yet to go. The scenes in this novel combined with the scenes I recall in Amastad are burned into my heart and mind. To think that our fellow friends were treated as mere chattel such that familiies could be broken up with no more emotion than selling a couch on Craigs List. We have to make sure that our kids read this novel as well.

message 3: by Christy (new) - added it

Christy I totally agree with your review!! I don't understand how anyone could not give this 5 stars!

message 4: by Cameron (new) - added it

Cameron Nunez Definitely agree. The book's profound grab on the reader is just simply exhilarating; from being hunted by Tom Locke to the heartfelt bonding moments between Eva and Uncle Tom, how could you not love this story? It shows that despite all odds Tom was able to get through it all by the means of hope and salvation; not only this but his dream was passed onto others such as George Shelby. Through this book, I was able to understand even more the great evil of slavery, which is important to know if we as a united group of people want to maintain and stabilize a happy, fair society. Very touching story and a great read.

message 5: by R (new) - rated it 5 stars