Junying's Reviews > Murder in Mykonos

Murder in Mykonos by Jeffrey Siger

Apr 03, 12

Recommended for: everyone
Read from March 28 to April 02, 2012, read count: 1

This book by Jeffrey Siger is a masterful suspense novel which has kept me interested from beginning to the very end, and honestly, I have no idea who was the culprit until the last sentence, just as the author has intended, I suspect. Yes, it does remind me of The Murder on the Oriental Express by Agatha Christy, which the book actually made reference to.

I love the setting of the book, which I nearly visited some years ago as I did my very own Greek Islands hopping as a single woman - I went close to Mykonos (Santorini was not far). Having read Mr Siger's murder mystery, I almost feel relieved that I didn't :) Well, I guess I would have been safe anyway, as our Mykonos serial murderer wasn't into someone like me, a medium built non-blonde Chinese girl :)

The characters in the book are finely painted, and I become very fond of the Protagonist Andreas Kaldis. I like the fact that one of the victims proved herself a strong female with a fierce fighting spirit. There are also a great deal of insights on Greek culture and life styles, revealing the corrupt system and hypocrisy of politicians, which I know to be true.

As a big fan of everything Greek, her people and its many beautiful islands, I'd definitely read more of Jeffrey Siger's books set on my beloved Greece.

The reason I am giving it four stars instead of five is the ending - I feel that although the suspense element was well crafted, there is room for a better finale. Some of the mysteries regarding the suspects have not been fully revealed, although some could argue that is intentional and expected from this kind of fiction.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder in Mykonos.

03/29/2012 page 65
23.0% "Interesting read so far."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Siger Hi Junying,

I arrived late last night on Mykonos and just had the chance to read your review of my debut Andreas Kaldis novel, "Murder in Mykonos." You're simply the best person. You not only took the time to write such a thoughtful, generous review, but put one big smile on my face.

Yes, I'm happy. Some might not at receiving less than a "perfect" score, but I tend to look at things differently. If your first book is considered perfect, where can you go from there but down? And though I did intentionally leave the other suspects unrevealed, I value your point.

Besides, I'm overjoyed to tell you that the missing star has been found! Yes, a week ago Publishers Weekly gave a starred review to #4 in the series, TARGET: TINOS, coming in June.

Again, thanks, Junying, from the very bottom of my deep, dark, mysterious heart.:)

All the Best,

Jeff

Junying Hi Jeff,

I'm glad that you're happy with my review - I've always found the 5 star system a bit limiting, as I would really love to have given you 4.5, leaving you 0.5 for improvement for your future series :)

Congrats for your new book coming out in June and getting reviews already! I look forward to reading your follow-up books and Athens will be the next stop :)

Best,