Jo's Reviews > The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Apr 26, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: ya, own, graphic-novels, when-can-i-move-in, you-got-a-friend-in-me, 2012
Read from April 15 to 22, 2012

OK, Goodreads was being a twonk and ruined my life by making all of the lovely pictures that I wanted to post look dodgy and skew-whiff. So, everyone close your eyes and pretend there are pictures here.

Lots of lovely pictures.

More lovely pictures.

Even more lovely pictures.

Imagination is fun.

You may wonder why I am posting so many pictures of this book for my review.
“Jo!” I hear you cry. “Where are the words?”
And I will reply:
“Exactly. Where are the words?”

I’m being clever and smart and illustrating my only problem I had with this book in my review.

Does that make sense?
Want me to use some more italics?
Alright, fine. I’ll keep my italics to myself, shall I?

I loved the illustrations in this book. I could quite happily get lost within them and look at them all day. In fact, I’m going to recruit Mr Selznick to join Jim Kay, Kei Acedera, Craig Thompson and Quentin Blake to paint every wall in my house.
They were absolutely stunning and fit perfectly with the book’s setting and the whimsical feeling of the story.

But, well, there wasn’t much of a story and I couldn’t help being a little bit disappointed because I thought I was going to have my socks blown off.
However, what story there was was absolutely spectacular.
While I was at uni, I studied both English Lit and Film studies, so film will always have a special place in my heart… especially the earlier ones. Looking at the pictures of the films from the dawn of cinema brought back some really great memories of studying them. It felt like I was back in my university’s library, watching French black and white films on the video players, wearing a pair of rather fetching headphones that took about six minutes to detangle from my hair.
Actually, the main reason why I picked this book up at all was because I saw the trailer for the film (directed by Martin Scorsese) and I was completely enchanted. And, if that wasn’t all, I did my dissertation on Scorsese. Coincidence? Probably. I think not.
So that was lovely.
And so was this book, please don’t get me wrong. I think I had just set my expectations a little too high.
The best way I can describe it is a love letter to art, film and magic.
I just wish that ‘story’ had received just a bit more than a ps at the end.

You can find this review and lots of other exciting things on my blog, Wear the Old Coat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

04/18/2012 page 156
29.0% 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

Chachic It IS a beautiful book! Reads like an old school silent film.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

The visuals are GORGEOUS. And it's quite thick, but you'll probably blow through it quickly. :) Happy reading!

message 3: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo Thanks guys!
I'm really enjoying it so far but I've not really had chance to really sit down and read it. Hopefully I'll get to soon :)

message 4: by Michelle (last edited Apr 19, 2012 12:02AM) (new)

Michelle Did you see the movie? Can't wait to read this either :D

Aly (Fantasy4eva) the cover is quite fetching. yes, fetching. i saw it at waterstones a couple of days ago and it just drew me to it.

of course being the nosy person i am, i looked inside and fell in love with the illustrations. they really are wonderful.

but it was quite expensive. and i had no idea if it was good or not. also i had already bought a book and didn't have the money. booo

hmm. four stars it a fab rating. but i need more details on the story. i am fussy like that

*stalks goodreads*

Ronyell Awesome review Jo! I really enjoyed this book!