Jeff Lindsey's Reviews > Day of Tears

Day of Tears by Julius Lester

Mar 26, 12

Read from March 23 to 26, 2012

This was a difficult book to read. Not because it was poorly written, because the writing is fantastic. It was difficult to read because of how angry it made me, and how that emotional level was kept at a fever pitch through the entire book. It was exhausting to read with that kind of internal churning. I kept asking myself how it was possible that we, as a species, can do these sort of things to one another. How we can justify the wholesale subjugation of another ace to the point that it seems a normal part of daily life, and something that is our right to do. That we are doing them a favor by kidnapping and enslaving them. That tearing apart families in the name of profit or expedience is just fine. Looking into that specter of the not all that distant past is horrific and chilling.

It was also moving, and inspiring. Not matter how broken as a people a group can be, individuals will always rise in the name of love and of freedom and join together with those who would see all people free,see all people equal. That not matter the hate, the ignorance, and the violence the tyrannical vomit forth, there will be those to stand against that vile tide and refuse to be swept away, to be swept under.

As angry as it made me, it also gave me hope. It is well worth the read, not only as a fictional account of a true event, but as an unflinching look into the dual sides of human nature.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Day of Tears.