Marigold's Reviews > Family Man

Family Man by Calvin Trillin

Mar 22, 12

bookshelves: essays, humor
Read in March, 2012

Over the years, I had read Calvin Trillin "here and there", but never read a book of his essays. Then my friend loaned me a copy of Uncivil Liberties & I decided I wanted to read more, but it became a fun game to search for Trillin at library book sales & such, rather than just ordering copies of his books or going to the regular bookstore. So Family Man is the next one I found - at a Dollar Book Store in Tigard, Oregon! (Uh, sorry, Calvin.) You have to love a man who can write so wonderfully about his wife & family without being sickeningly sweet! You also have to love a man who can write about living in New York City, & traveling to Nova Scotia, London, France, & Mexico among other places, without making you just feel grouchy!

This book of essays ends up feeling more like a short memoir about Trillin & his family, & some of the things that happen in families in general - weddings, diaper changing, school plays, family vacations, the fact that all families have their own private words & phrases that they share.

His essay about Thanksgiving - in this book - was fabulous! I'm so glad I'm not the only person in the world with ambivalent feelings toward Thanksgiving!

Trillin. He's funny. Read him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Family Man.