Vidya Tiru's Reviews > Last Man in Tower

Last Man in Tower by Aravind Adiga

Mar 22, 12

My Take: This was a book that left me devastated in the end. It was kind of reading an adult version of Lord of the Flies in a different setting.
The book is set in Vakola, Mumbai and focuses on the residents of Vishram Society. The apartment complexes that make up the Society are eyed by Shah, a real estate developer who plans to build his dream there. His efforts to clear the buildings in order to realize his dream – by making generous (in the real estate world) financial offers to the residents and other persuasions – and the reactions of the residents and their lives to this make up the story. One man’s resistance to this offer is the center of this story though – Masterji’s. It is very interesting to watch how society dynamics change, how relationships are impacted (friends, family, neighbors) and how individuals change when faced with choices like in the book. What do you do when your dreams are right in front of you – waiting for you to reach out and grab them – after you make a, maybe, moral compromise? Will you? The story reveals this moral compass of individuals very well.
All the characters in the book are well etched out – even the not-so-major characters like Shah’s son or the priest who helps perform religious rituals for Masterji. Adiga’s narration of the story is fascinating, riveting and keeps you hooked. The descriptions of places too is fascinating and detailed and takes you right there to Mumbai as you read the book – the real Mumbai with real people. It took me a while to get into it though, but once I was hooked – somewhere halfway through - I kept going till the end.
In Summary:
Rating: B+ (I loved the White Tiger a teeny bit more so a B+ here)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Man in Tower.