Bodea's Reviews > The City's Son

The City's Son by Tom Pollock

May 15, 12

bookshelves: arcs, netgalley
Read from April 26 to May 03, 2012

The first half or so was just ok so 2 stars. I was just about safely in like territory closer to the end so I give it 3 stars.

The City's Son is quite a creative story. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get into it when I started. The narrative was a bit confusing and I had trouble with the world building. However, I was immeadiately drawn to Beth and Pen. I thought they were interesting characters. Easy to picture and quite realistic. I think, character wise, that will appeal to a lot of people.

It took a while for me to get into the plot and to fully understand this world that the author was building. Once I got almost halfway through, I felt like I had a better handle on that and I was pretty much enjoying the story. I only have two complaints. I'm not sure the narrative voice was as ...captivating as I would have liked it to be. Also, the pacing was a little slow for my taste, but overall, I really the story.

The author's writing style is nice and it's easy to see the creativity that's gone into this world. Though I wasn't crazy about the ending, I felt like the story wrapped up rather nicely. I'd recommend this to readers looking for a imaginative story that's not necessarily light or upbeat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City's Son.

04/28/2012 page 100