Dawn Coulter's Reviews > Hand Me Down

Hand Me Down by Melanie Thorne

Mar 31, 12

Read from March 22 to 31, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Okay, first let me be clear about something, this book was well written. It just was completely and totally not my thing.

I lucked into an ARC of it and I had great hopes for it. There have been so many amazing voices in realistic teen fiction over the last half decade and though this was competently and compellingly written this one just fell flat for me. I hate to say that because I really want to like everything I read and I try to like everything I read. But there's a point for me, as a reader, when I just wonder if ANYTHING good can happen to this girl.

I get it, she ends up with a loving family member and breaks free from the pull of her broken mother and her abusive boyfriend. But, for me to really enjoy the book, I needed more. I needed a reason to see hope and I saw none. And I don't do bleak. It's the reason why I avoid most contemporary women's fiction like the plague and why a lot of modernist writers leave me flat. I understand that it's a big, bad world out there and I want that world to be reflected in the fiction I read but optimist that I am I'd really like to see more hope. Just a ray more and this might have been a four star review and not a two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hand Me Down.