Krenner1's Reviews > To End All Wars: A Story of Loyalty and Rebellion, 1914-1918

To End All Wars by Adam Hochschild

Mar 22, 2012

Coming off the current frenzy of the popular TV series Downton Abbey, this book tied right in with its intellectual and entertaining explanation of how British officers approached WWI as if it were a fox hunt, and the calvary--immaculate in its red coats and precision--was the perceived answer to victory. Since the war did not end quickly or smoothly, we follow the transformation from a gentleman's war to an industrial one. We also learn of the many dissenters and their fate. I'm not into war books, but this one was a fabulous read. I remembered much that I had forgotten in school, learned things I never learned, and enjoyed all the triva such as: the first tanks were bungling machines that did not live up to their task, but they became immensely popular when parked in town squares as a station for selling war bonds. The author also puts WWI into perspective as a trigger for the world's forthcoming bad behavior. One would think the unfathomable number of deaths would open our eyes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To End All Wars.

03/14/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky Yippee! It's in Kindle at the Library! Another on the TBR list. Have you read The Guns of August? I love Barbara W. Tuchman. The book didn't quite work for me, and I think that was more that the audiobook's narrator didn't match the content.

But, you might find it very interesting after reading this one. It's definitely a classic.