Pat aka Tygyr's Reviews > Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

Mar 25, 12

Read from March 22 to 25, 2012

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Pat aka Tygyr I had read so much about this book I decided I had to read it. I had been prepared to really love it, but instead was a bit disappointed. Ana was too naive and Christian was too damaged. He wanted her to join in his Dom/Sub lovestyle. She loved him and wanted it to work. She asked him for a sample of the "worst" and she decided she could not do this with him. She was hurt physically and emotionally. She healed physically much easier.
I kept feeling he was lying to himself and to her. That he didn't need the control as much as he needed to inflict pain. His Subs met him in the "Play Room", weren't to look at him, did whatever he wanted as quickly as he asked or the consequences would be appropriate. Then the Sub went to her room and he went to his own. No cuddling, conversation, or relationship.
I have read sex scenes that have been much more intense (rape scenes for example) with no real problem. Maybe it was Ana's naivete and that her first lover is this man who wasn't much older by age, but by life experiences he was ancient to her child.
I actually cheered when she stood up for herself and left him.
I did give the book 4 stars. It was different, and I am reading the 2nd one. But I am already seeing red flags everwhere in the 2nd book and I have not gotten very far.