Ann's Reviews > Locked Rooms

Locked Rooms by Laurie R. King

May 09, 2015

bookshelves: 1920s, mystery, san-francisco, sherlock-holmes, california, historical-fiction, detective
Read in September, 2008

I always enjoy Laurie R. King's Mary Russell mysteries - I think that they are well thought out, detailed, and that her writing is good (MUCH better than most mysteries). I can never quite love them, though. This may be because I've never been a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes stories (I always think I'll love them, but usually feel somewhat disappointed afterward), and I find Mary Russell herself to be cold and distant, even though the stories are told from her point of view. However, I really liked the story of this latest book since it dealt more with Russell's personal history and her memories of her family's death. It added more depth and weight to the story, and I always like mysteries that deal with a crime from the past that needs to be rectified. Holmes' and Russell's actions all made sense and were much more plausible too, in context of the story, which has been a criticism of mine of past books in the series (remember the one where they dressed as Palestinian wanderers for weeks?). Maybe my favorite so far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Locked Rooms.