Cindy Crawford's Reviews > Poison Flower

Poison Flower by Thomas Perry

Mar 24, 2012

liked it
Read from March 22 to 24, 2012

** spoiler alert ** The Jane Whitefield series has always fascintated me. I love the idea of this woman helping people escape the danger they've run into. Jane is something of a superwoman-and that's ultimately what I realized bothered me about this book.

The basic plot is that Jane helps an innocent man escape from prison, picking up an abused wife and the innocent man's sister along the way. But Jane is captured-twice--and the men who capture her first torture her to find out where innocent man is hiding, then auction her off to the highest bidder. All the bad guys from Jane's life, all the people who hate her because she helped people get away from them, show up to bid for her.

The writing is good, and the plot certainly moves along at a fast clip, but this time the book didn't satisfy me as much as previous ones did. Maybe it's the factual, almost clinical tone as Perry describes Jane being tortured, or Jane deliberately setting out to murder all the men looking for her. I don't really have a problem with the decision--Jane has always sworn to do whatever it takes to save her runners--but there's no look at how these actions affect Jane. Maybe that's going to be covered in another book, but I wanted more emotion in this book. Jane doesn't seem human here, more of an avenging fury who has no doubt, no question about what she's doing, or what she's become.

Good story, but doesn't have the depth I'd like to have seen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poison Flower.