ElaineY's Reviews > Chulito

Chulito by Charles Rice-González

Mar 26, 12

bookshelves: mm
Read in March, 2012

The blurb kinda says it all. If you enjoy reading about teenage angst (I don't) then this is not to be missed. It was readable but by the time I got through 3/4 of it, Chulito's internal battles were getting wearying and I had to skim through several pages because I was impatient to be done with the book.

Overall, it was very low-key. I expected more serious repercussions since the story's background is the ghetto, involved drug-dealing, drag queens, angry Latinas yelling out of apartment windows, etc. I may be wrong since I've never read one but this seems more targeted at the YA audience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chulito.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

ElaineY Sayang wrote: "E, I think this is YA."

I know. I read somewhere, maybe the author's blog or something, that Chulito is only 16. I'm going to have to put it in the right place - that this is coming of age (is it? I don't know as I don't read stories about young teens) and it's set in the a rough Latino neighborhood.

ElaineY Sayang wrote: "E, I think this is YA."

So this is what YA is like? And you enjoy this? It made me relieved all my boys are out of my house and hair:P

ElaineY Sayang wrote: "Oh yes! ;p

I was surprised to see it on your shelf."

Sayang wrote: "Oh yes! ;p

I was surprised to see it on your shelf."

I know. I've never read YA before and it had actually slipped my mind this was YA or I wouldn't have bothered my friend. I had too much on my mind. Anyway, if you like YA I'm sure you'll enjoy this. It has a very authentic feel, even if a lot of punches were held (because of the YA label?).