Stacy's Reviews > Elemental

Elemental by Emily  White

May 02, 12

bookshelves: from-publisher-author
Read from April 13 to 15, 2012

ELEMENTAL is definitely a unique read. We start out with Ella on a prison ship, no clue where the ship is really or why she is there only that she is there and for some reason someone in her head is telling her that she has a chance to escape. She doesn't really remember anything about herself from before she was taken prisoner and we follow her on her journey as she escapes, is on the run and falls into her destiny.

Ella really doesn't have much time to build herself up from the starved, scared girl she starts out as but does gain confidence and strength gradually throughout the book. I can't say that I connected fully with Ella but I did enjoy her character and her story. Another character we meet right away Meir is also a huge mystery but he is a huge part of helping Ella and you cant help but fall in love with his fatherly affections. Cailen, I liked him right away. He and Ella of course were made for each other and I hope their relationship goes a little more smoothly in book 2. I saw the traitor pretty much from the moment he was introduced. I wasn't really surprised when his big reveal came. That whole part of the story was pretty predictable. I was a bit confused trying to follow the different religions. I didn't feel they were well explained until way later in the book and I would have liked to know a little more about them from the start so I could understand their beliefs and positions a little more. I must add that I busted out laughing when the cat was introduced my husband looked at me like I was nuts because I just couldn't stop.

ELEMENTAL falls heavy on the side of Sci-Fi with a bit of YA romance thrown in. Emily had a good story voice going and the whole thing was fast paced. I AM interested to see what happens next for Emily so I will most likely pick up book 2 when it comes out but it isn't a must read for me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elemental.