Diana's Reviews > More Than You Know: A Novel

F_50x66
Apr 20, 12

Read on April 20, 2012

This is a Not-So-Closet Geek review: http://not-so-cg.blogspot.com

This was my first Penny Vincenzi novel, and I've found reading it to be a rewarding, if not pleasant, experience.

More Than You Know follows two people from different worlds as they stumble into love and later crash out of it. It elegantly shows how a marriage with so much love can go so wrong. This is the first time I've read an up-close portrayal of a divorce and found it successful in it's representation. The pain in this novel is vivid and intense. Readers will come to understand how two people, neither of them 'bad', can be so bad together.

However, I will warn forward-thinking females that Matt, our male protagonist, will drive you mad with his neanderthal values towards the role of women in a marriage. His antiquated views, however, were not uncommon in the setting of this novel: 1960s London.

Which brings me to my final point. I felt Vincenzi could have done so much more with this setting. There is so much opportunity for literary art in such a memorable setting. I felt Vincenzi's setting did not live up to its potential.

Overall, More Than You Know is a novel whose strength lies in its characters and their dynamics. This is much more than a fluffy beach read. This is a novel for a summer storm.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read More Than You Know.