Katy's Reviews > Masque of the Red Death

Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

Mar 22, 12

Read on March 22, 2012

3.5 stars - Still bouncing between a three and four. I really struggled with the first half, but I ended up really liking the second half.

I had a hard time staying focused in the book at first. The club scene and first parts were kind of confusing because there were a lot of guys introduced, and I couldn't tell who was who, and it left me frustrated. Once I learned who everyone was, I had a hard time connecting to anyone because they were written so stoic. I don't know if it's because of the Victorian times, or if it was because no one trusted each other, but I didn't get a good grasp of everyone's personality.

About halfway through, I started to get a little bit more into it. Araby starts to become more trusting, allowing herself to be a little more lenient with her vow. Will, sweet Will, reveals his true self, and Elliott shows that beneath the cold, distant facade, there is a lot more to him than meets the eye. But even then, I was disappointedly not as absorbed in the relationships as I was hoping to be.

My favorite characters were April because she's so much smarter and trustworthy and loyal than I gave her credit for, and the two children because they're so trusting and loving.

I liked that a lot more of the story starts making sense - the plague, what's REALLY going on, the politics involved. Along the way, you're heartbroken by a few betrayals, you figure out who's on which side, and you find out there are reasons for why people acted a certain way. THE betrayal left me physically in pain, and I was so worried the book was going to leave me with that heaviness. But I'm glad there were a few more chapters to calm my ache.

So yeah, this book got a lot of RAVING reviews, many from usually tough critics. I'm disappointed that it didn't quite meet my expectations nor all the hype, but it's still a good book. And even though I'm not DYING to know what will happen next. I am really curious to find out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masque of the Red Death.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling I'm glad you liked it overall, Katy--if it helps, I hear there's just one more book, so hopefully things will get tied up in a satisfactory way.