Laurie London's Reviews > Fifty-one Shades: A Parody

Fifty-one Shades by Andrew Shaffer

Apr 23, 12

Read from March 22 to April 01, 2012

I eagerly await every installment! Can't wait for more.

**review to come** (I loved it!)

Review:

I had the pleasure (no pun intended) of reading an Advance Reader Copy of the soon-to-be-published Fifty Shames of Earl Grey, a parody of Fifty Shades of Grey. I've read the Twilight books, but not Fifty Shades, so I wondered if I would *get* all the jokes and references. (Fifty Shades started out as Twilight fanfic.) Apparently I did, because I laughed throughout the entire book and couldn't put it down.

I called my friend who was also reading an ARC and we laughed so hard over various passages that we were both crying. My friend said she loved the book so much that she worried she was about to step into creepy stalker territory with the author. LOL

To mark my favorite parts, I used the highlight feature on my Nook, but I used it so much that I broke that feature. It kept jumping completely out of the book, making me open it up over and over.

Anna has to write a college paper on the legalities of fan fiction. Her ethnic best friend (he describes himself this way), Jin, is a brony. Earl makes Anna take a Cosmo-like sex quiz and he has an Olive Garden restaurant on his yacht. I mean seriously, it goes on and on.

Fifty Shames of Earl Grey is wickedly funny and reverently irreverent. If you've read Twilight and/or Fifty Shades and you love to laugh, don't miss this book—you won't be disappointed. And if you haven't read either of them...well, just be expecting some over the top, purple prose craziness.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty-one Shades.

message 1: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Arend "My friend said she loved the book so much that she worried she was about to step into creepy stalker territory with the author. LOL"

But you can't stalk a person who turns around to give you eager hugs every time you get close enough. She's safe!

Sounds like a blast!

Laurie London Hahaha So true!

Yes, the book is hilarious! He's so dang funny.