Blythe's Reviews > Under the Never Sky

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

5206717
If I’ve learned anything while reading young-adult, it’s that dystopian novels are tricky. (That and the fact that werewolves do not make ideal boyfriends, but that’s pretty irrelevant to the point I’m trying to make.) There are some YA dystopian novels that make me question why the genre even exists (not going to name names or anything) (shoots death glare at Glitch). But then there are also hidden gems of dystopian novels that restore my faith in the genre and have me wanting to read more and more of what it has to offer.

Under the Never Sky, my friends, is one of those dystopian novels.

In Under the Never Sky, people of the world have been forced into Pods after Aether storms (basically lightning and fire swirling in the sky) reigned their destruction onto the world and left it as a ravaged wasteland. In the Pods, the residents are given Smarteyes, which allow them to make any of their dreams a reality. With the Smarteyes, you could transport from place to place in seconds, you can’t feel pain; hell, you could even fly. But one day, Aria’s mother goes off into another Pod than her’s – Bliss – and she doesn’t return for a week. In hopes to discover more about what happened to Bliss, and more importantly her mother, Aria decides to go outside of her Pod with the Consul’s son to get some answers. But as she’s outside the Pod, things start to go awry, and soon enough she’s stranded in the wild to fend for herself.

When reading dystopian novels, the first thing I ask myself is, “If I were put in the same situation as the characters in this book, would I survive?” More often than not, the answer to that question is a big, fat no (you authors can come up with really impossible to survive in landscapes…). However, upon reading the first few chapters of Under the Never Sky, I not only felt like I could easily survive in its world, but that I’d prefer to live in it.

Then of course, as I read more, Under the Never Sky proved me wrong and showed me its world would kill me in an instant with no worries whatsoever. With cannibals, disease, mutated people, and an Aether storm looming above, the world of Under the Never Sky turned from a world I’d like to live in to a world I’d never want to visit. Ever.

And while it may take a while for you to understand the terminology in Under the Never Sky (which is thrown around like wildfire with little to no explanation as to what the terms mean), and it may take you a while to grasp the world and technology, too, but once you do begin to grasp that, you’re in for a fun read.

The plot for Under the Never Sky is well executed, and so are the dual narratives and romance between Aria and Perry. Usually, when I hear that a book has dual narratives, I run for the hills because more often than not both of the narratives are completely identical and indistinguishable. But in Under the Never Sky, Rossi provides us with two thoroughly interesting and distinguishable narratives. (Though I personally favored Aria’s over Perry’s.) And as for the romance between Perry and Aria, it’s not insta-love! Their romance is similar to a real one, in that it takes time to develop and they aren’t fawning over each other upon their first meeting. (In fact, they learn each other’s names about halfway through the book).

With interesting characters, an engaging plot, well written fight scenes and fascinating world-building, Under the Never Sky is sure to please readers who have been looking for a good YA dystopian on the market. While it isn’t a perfect novel, it sure is a fun one (and I’d totally die if I were a character in it).

You can read this review and others on my blog, Finding Bliss in Books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Never Sky.

11/02/2012 page 0
0.0% "All right, let's see what all this fuss is about." 1 comment
11/02/2012 page 35
9.0% "Wait... so this guy could smell emotions? o.O" 4 comments
11/02/2012 page 84
22.0% "So far Perry's narration bores me (oh noez, feuding brothers! *rolls eyes*), but I am really liking Aria's narration, so I guess it evens out. (And luckily Aria's chapters have been longer than Perry's thus far.)" 1 comment
11/03/2012 page 155
41.0% "I also want to point at that, in the synopsis, where it says:

Since she had been thrown out of the Reverie, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat by a cannibal, and she'd seen men murdered.

This was worse.

it's actually referring to the main character getting her first period.

Yeah." 1 comment
11/03/2012 page 155
41.0% "Well, Perry clearly has no clue as to what violets smell like."
11/04/2012 page 313
83.0% "This book is like crack." 4 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele.♥ (new) - added it

Michele.♥ I can't wait to see your review! I've heard only good things so far.

Blythe kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "I can't wait to see your review! I've heard only good things so far."

I'm writing it up right now. I really liked it!

Crystal I thought her world was amazing I actually didn't enjoy the characters all that much as I was reading the book. I am still looking forward to the second book because of a lot of unanswered questions I have.

And didn't you just love Perry's friend gosh what was his name Roc or something? I don't know but I loved that character.

Justine Yess I loved the fact that Aria and Perry's romance was not the insta-love that's quite popular in YA.

Katie Tuccelli I'm glad you enjoyed it overall! This is actually one of the most memorable of 2012 for me, and one of the first mentioned when asked what my favorite books of 2012 have been :-) Great review, friend! <3

message 6: by Bonnie (new) - added it

Bonnie Not insta-love?? Woo-hoo! lol

Rogier yaaaay

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I tried reading this a few months ago. I think I might try to take another stab at it. Thank you, Blythe, for the review.

message 9: by Ema (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ema I agree. It is sometimes hard to find a believable dystopian book. But I loved Under the Never Sky and can't wait for the second book to release!