Valerie's Reviews > The Prairie Prince

May 06, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: western, clean-romance
Read in May, 2012 — I own a copy

This one was a quick, but enjoyable, even amazing read for me; shorter story but I still felt I got to know and love these characters just enough. This is at least my eleventh McClure book; I never tire of the chivalrous, thoroughly masculine heroes, virtuously restrained but fiery passion with a dash of action thrown in. The writing in this story might be some of her best.

Katie Matthews is adorable, a beautiful, goofy, lively heroine, mixing up metaphors, staying hopeful in spite of an ugly home life. Her joyfulness, silly antics and love for her brother are so endearing. Stover Steele – what a yummy name! – is what a man should be, caring for the women in his life, working hard, and, of course, handsome as can be! He’s not afraid to step up and defend a woman in need. He reassures Katie, and won’t take excuses for her father’s abusive behavior. He’s willing to face him and any other man who threatens her.

The sibling relationships – Katie and Jared, Steele and Pillar – were delightful. Pillar’s was a heartwarming side story highlighting true love, real beauty and acceptance. And I love the triplets!

The Prairie Prince had me in giggles and laughs, and in delighted sighs. My favorite line: “Do ya want a sweet Sunday-go-to meetin’ kiss? Or a good the-devil’s-out-after-midnight-kiss?” Oh, the love develops for reasons other than just physical attraction, too, but Stover Steele’s kisses were delicious! Plenty of passion while keeping it clean. And by now I should not be surprised by a bit of action in McClure’s books, but when it started toward the end I about lost my breath! The suspense in Chapter 8 was killing me! One would think I would have known what to expect but I was on edge! I was so glad to have an Epilogue; I really like knowing how things wrap up. I certainly could have spent more time with Katie, Jared, Steele, Pillar and the triplets, but this shorter romance had enough to keep them endeared to me and wrap my heart up in this story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prairie Prince.