Betsy Pauzauskie's Reviews > Middleworld

Middleworld by Jon Voelkel

Mar 22, 2012

Read in March, 2012

My 9-year-old Grandson recommended this book as more exotic than The Dragon in the Sock Drawer, when asked which book he preferred. So I took Middleworld home to read. I personally learned a great deal about the Mayan culture, history and pronunciations. Middleworld, the title, refers to the living world and it's beings (though Mayans also have many levels that are counterparts to our heaven and hell.) I enjoyed the imaginative and complex plot.

Our hero is a 14-year-old Boston boy, Max, who travels alone to Central America to be with his parents. However, prior to Max's arrival, a severe storm with flooding isolates the location where Max's parents, prominent archeologists, have been excavating. Max's Uncle, who owns a banana plantation in Central America, takes Max in. Max gets involved in an adventure which involves the Rainforest, trained monkeys, smuggling, an Ancient Mayan King, Underworld Lords of Death, Jaguar Stones, a Shaman, Lola and so much more! Lola is our heroine, who helps Max push his personal limits as they both try to survive the tasks before them. I look forward to the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Middleworld.