Stefani's Reviews > One Cause, Many Ailments: The Leaky Gut Syndrome: What It Is and How It May Be Affecting Your Health

One Cause, Many Ailments by John O.A. Pagano

Mar 22, 12

bookshelves: health
Read in February, 2012

I first read about Leaky Gut in "A Natural Guide to Pregnancy and Postpartum Health," but Dr. Raffelock didn't really explain it, or how to fix it very well (not the focus of his book). This book really helped me understand Leaky Gut, what can cause it, and dietary steps to take to fix it (like other diet recommendations: whole foods, water instead of soda, etc.). I think whether a person likes this book with depend on where they sit on the spectrum between western medicine and holistic approaches. I myself, sit somewhere in the middle, so this book was good for me. It didn't call for a bunch of crazy stuff, just stuff I already was trying to do--except his advice to avoid nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, etc.) because they are more inflammatory for the intestines, but I'm going to cut back on those now because what made me pick this book up after 6+ years of learning of Leaky Gut are small patches of what my dermatologist said could be psoriasis. The majority cleared up with topical medicine, but I'd rather keep red, itchy, scaly skin at bay naturally, rather than resorting to steroid creams as a first measure.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Cause, Many Ailments.