Debbie's Reviews > The Pilot's Wife

The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

Mar 23, 12

Read from March 22 to 23, 2012

This is a story of love, family dedication, and betrayal. Kathryn experiences some of the stages of grief over the death of her husband, Jack: shock, denial, guilt, reflection. Her loneliness is lessened to some degee by the presence of the pilot's union rep, Robert. Although I liked the book, I feel that there are gaps and inconsistencies in the plot. For instance, Kathryn never seems to be as angry as I think she should have been by Jack's infidelity and the discovery of his other family. Why Robert becomes so caught up with Kathryn, who is just one wife out of his many cases, is never really it attraction at first sight, or the recognition of a shared experience of having been betrayed by his/her spouse, or something else? Why does Kathryn choose to keep her daughter Mattie in the dark about her father's other life, his other family? Kathryn decides to spare Mattie more hurt, but won't Mattie be even more hurt if/when she discovers the truths Kathryn has failed to share? Won't Mattie feel deceived by and mistrustful of Kathryn? The biggest question of all remains~How do we know that we really know someone?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pilot's Wife.