Jordan Webber's Reviews > Birthmarked

Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien

Mar 22, 12

Read in March, 2012

I have a birthmark on my left ankle. In the world of Caragh M. O'Brien's Birthmarked , that might mean a lot more than it does in the world in which I actually live. In the post-apocalyptic world she has created, those with marks on their left ankles are part of a mystery which the main character, a midwife named Gaia Stone, must solve. This mystery unfolds cleverly throughout the story, with real codes the reader can try to figure out along with her.

I love post-apocalyptic teen fiction like this, but my favourite parts of this particular story (the romantic lead, the touching friendships and family relationships) have to be balanced against the parts I liked less, namely the sparsity of explanation of why the world has become as it is for Gaia's generation, and the mentions of things to be explained only in the sequel/s, coming to a head with the 'to be continued' style of ending. Qualms aside, however, I will be looking for the rest of the series in my local library as soon as I can.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birthmarked.