Laura's Reviews > Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life

U_50x66
Mar 22, 12

bookshelves: realistic
Read in September, 2010

I liked the story OK but I felt it was poorly written. I read once that using adverbs as descriptors is an easy out for writers. For instance, "She danced happily" is much easier (but more boring) than "She swirled like a gypsy in a trance." This book is full of people dancing happily, turning angrily, swimming quickly, and so on. Also, there were a lot of sentences that didn't make sense.

So anyway, Jeremy's dad died and left him a box with these words carved into it: "The Meaning of Life: For Jeremy Fink to open on his 13th birthday". Unfortunately the keys are missing. Jeremy and his friend Lizzie decide to search all of New York for them, and figure if they try enough keys they'll have to stumble on the right one eventually. Throughout their adventure the kids and the reader gain a better understanding of the meaning of life, the universe, and everything. Unfortunately it ends in a very contrived way. I would have preferred the ending to have more mystery, but Mass decided to reveal the man behind the curtain, pretty literally. So the meaning of life? Apparently it's that our experiences should be contrived by our parents because there are no real adventures out there. The end.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life.