Lady Entropy's Reviews > Cyberpunk

Cyberpunk by Bruce Bethke

Jul 09, 12

Read in July, 2012

I really really wish I could have given one more star to this book, because I really enjoyed it.

However, the book makes a promise it doesn't keep in its opening scene: to be a book about cyberpunk. Oh sure, the main character is a cyberpunk, down to his toeing the line to unlikeable at the start, but halfway through act one, all that is tossed out and suddenly we have a story of a boy growing up in military academy.

Again, I enjoyed it, but I kept hoping for the cyberpunk to return and it never did. The characters were fun and well-developed (and this was mostly a character book) but there was no real closure, no real solution of the main conflict (which shifted and changed like crazy), nothing but a very rushed victory over an antagonist that only shows up midway though the third act.

Still very fun, still with a very interesting setting, albeit not properly explored.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cyberpunk.

message 1: by Ricardo (new)

Ricardo Loureiro Sabes que isto é um fixup do conto que deu origem ao termo, certo? Talvez daí a dicotomia que sentiste.

Lady Entropy I didn't know that, but I still maintain my belief that the opening scenes make promises that it doesn't keep, which alone costed it one star.