Candice's Reviews > The Complete Knifepoint Horror

The Complete Knifepoint Horror by Soren Narnia

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: horror
Read from April 01 to 16, 2012

I've loved the horror genre since I read H.P. Lovecraft at the age of 12. I was excited to win this book through Goodreads but a little intimidated by the description of the format. It turned out to be a great book. Every story starts with "My name is _____" and goes on from there. The story is told from the speakers' point of view and I thought it worked very well. The stories are creepy,scary rather than gory, gross outs. The narrators tell their stories matter of factly with little emotion or exclamations of horror. There are no capital letters, paragraph breaks or page numbers. Instead, there is an accumulation of details that often left me tired and unnerved, much like the narrator's themselves. Several stories stayed with me for days afterwards: a young man paid to follow and videotape another man's search through a haunted town, a tale of another young man's introduction to satan worshipers and the demon they raise, and the horrific experience of a congressman's investigation of a seance.

I enjoyed the book and while I like the effect of the format it makes for difficult reading. I never realized how much paragraph breaks brought to the reading experience. Not only do they allow for a natural break for the eyes, it was difficult to stop mid-story without them. It also made it very easy to lose my place. I ended up having to dogear the pages since if a bookmark fell out it would be impossible to find my place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Knifepoint Horror.

04/18/2012 "there are no page numbers. I'm almost done."