Erin's Reviews > The Love of My Youth

The Love of My Youth by Mary Gordon

Apr 08, 12

Read from March 22 to April 08, 2012

This book, for me is spot on. It is idealistic, yet realistic. The characters have their flaws, as we all do. The dialogue is no different than that I might find myself having with the love of MY youth. But, for me, the way Gordon captures the feelings, the nuances, the thoughts we keep to ourselves while in a conversation, that is what gripped me. I do not need to read a book about passion and romance and the fillers. I enjoyed this writing about self-actualization and young love and mature love, parental love and what one can learn from what was not and what is. It is interesting to see how people are shaped by their family, their background, their experiences, and ultimately, their choices. I thought the reminiscing was described in such a way that it was not sappy or sentimental, just factual. A book, like anything else is not going to be liked or loved by everyone who comes across it. If you are looking for a story involving introspect that is told in what I think, is a most a interesting way, then this might be the story for you. If you are looking for fireworks and fluff then, pass it up.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Love of My Youth.