Lisa (windandthestars)'s Reviews > How to Be Lost

How to Be Lost by Amanda Eyre Ward

F_50x66
Apr 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012, borrowed
Recommended for: Anyone looking for a quick, engrossing read
Read from April 06 to 07, 2012, read count: 1

While the description on the back of the book may lead you to believe that the story centers around the disappearance of five year old, Ellie, the story is much more about the Winter's family: their grief, and their struggle to find themselves. Despite much of the plot falling into place early on in the book, there's still a feeling of suspense until the end, which was almost disappointing because I want more!

I liked the use of various POVs within the novel, although at first it was unclear what role they played. They were a nice way to present information to the reader, at times providing a nice source of humor (which was wonderfully sprinkled throughout the book) to lighten some of the sadder or more serious moments. As I said before, my main complaint is that there wasn't more. While I can appreciate the book ending as it did, I want more, something to lighten the sadness that threaded itself through the entire book. I'm not usually one for hearts and flowers, but I'm a bit attached, what can I say?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Be Lost.

Quotes Lisa (windandthestars) Liked

“When you are small, if you reach out, and nobody takes your hand, you stop reaching out, and reach inside, instead.”
Amanda Eyre Ward, How to Be Lost