Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Magic Trixie

Magic Trixie by Jill Thompson

Apr 27, 12

bookshelves: childrens, graphic-comics, fiction, novel, speculative-fiction, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra & Abigail A.
Read on April 27, 2012

This one did not charm me. But Trixie’s baby sister having the name Abby Cadabra is enough for an added star. I really enjoyed that name. I guess this would be a good book for kids experiencing sibling rivalry.

But, I kind of hated the artwork and I was mildly amused and touched during a small portion of this story, but overall I didn’t enjoy it. If it hadn’t been such a fast read I wouldn’t have finished it.

For kids who like the art and this type of story, I’m sure it’s a hit.

Except for Peanuts and then Doonesbury, I wasn’t a huge fan of comics until The Far Side. Since then, I’ve read many graphic novels I’ve thoroughly enjoyed, fiction and non-fiction books both that are told via comics, but this wasn’t one of them. I’m disappointed and somewhat surprised that this wasn’t a hit with me. But, I can see recommending this to many middle grade age girls. If I hadn’t had a visceral revulsion to the artwork, I suspect I’d have liked this a lot more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Trixie.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa Vegan Abigail wrote: "I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this one more, Lisa. I can't say it was a personal favorite, but I liked it well enough to hunt down the sequels. Ah well, different strokes, I guess."

Yes, I thought I'd like it. Luckily it was a fast read so I don't resent the time I spent on it. Plus, there were a couple cute things. What did you think of the sequels?

Lisa Vegan I'm glad Izzy loves it and you love it and Abigail loves it. Maybe I'm weird, but I really didn't love it. That's why it's good to have a variety of ratings/reviews out there. I never really want to dissuade anyone from reading a book because it's very possible they will disagree with me. True too in the other direction.

Lisa Vegan Maybe. I realize a lot of the graphic novels, in not all, are written for adults or at least at the ya level. I've loved many but not that many for kids???

Lisa Vegan Chandra wrote: "Yeah, I get that. Not all kids stuff has adult cross-over appeal. A lot does, but not all."

Yeah, most does, I think, but not all.